So for me and many others, when I get invited to a Christmas party there is always part of me that thinks, “what am I going to bring as an appetizer?” I have made this recipe a few times and it goes over really well. It’s not my recipe mind you, but here are the ingredients. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!!
This caponata appetizer recipe blends eggplant, tomatoes, mushrooms and onions for to create vegetarian party food that everyone will enjoy. And they are very good to the eye!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 oz. package mixed mushrooms, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 large tomatoes, diced small
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 18 plain toasted bagel crisps
I am also a big fan of Crispy Baguettes (Garden Herb, Tomato & Basil, Three Cheese) that you can find in the cracker isle at your local grocery store.
- Warm oil in large deep skillet. Add eggplant in batches and saute until tender, about 5 minutes per batch. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, onions and parsley; cook until softened, another 3-4 minutes.
- Add vinegar, capers, tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto bagel crisps by the spoonful and serve. Top with some chopped parsley.
Instead of serving the caponata on bagel crisps, scoop it into sautéed mushroom caps for a completely vegetable treat.